Saturday, December 3, 2016

Color Theory Money Projects - Grayscale and Color

Well, the semester is winding down, and it's time to work on final projects. My final projects in GRC109 Color Theory are to create a bill of currency, based on the subject matter of my choice, so I chose to create one based on the movie Suicide Squad. Let's start with Project 1: Grayscale.



This was rather fun to do, and stretched my skillsets a LOT. Before this class, I'd only just dabbled with Illustrator (the software used in my Color Theory class), so there was a bit of a learning curve, and it was somewhat steep, but I muddled through, and picked up a few things along the way. :D

Project 2 was to be in three parts, all of which involved adding color into the product of the grayscale project. First was to be a monochromatic coloration. Here's what I came up with:



I'm sure that you've noticed that there are some minor differences (other than the color, of course) between this one and the original. I saw some things that could use some improvement, so I made the changes. I think that is looks much better this way, don't you?

The second part of the final project was to add two hues in various tints and shades. I kept the red-orange and used that color's compliment (or reasonably close to it, at least). This is what I turned in:




the third and final version was to use three colors in either triadic (three evenly spaced hues on the color wheel), or split complimentary (Too difficult to concisely explain here, but feel free to Google it) color harmonies. I went with split complimentary. We were also supposed to make sure that the colors used filled roles of dominant, subordinate and accent colors. I think that the final result fulfils this quite well:




Now that's all well and good, and meets the requirements, but if you've learned anything about me by now, it's that I just don't settle for "meeting" the requirements. As a result, I took it one step beyond, and created a Full Color version. Of course I couldn't turn it in for a grade, but I thought I'd share it here:



This class was an amazing experience for me, and is one of the classes that taught me the most, so far. We'll have to see what comes next. :D

1 comment: